Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I found out, my soon to be ex-husband forged my name ...

I found out, my soon to be ex-husband forged my name on state and federal 05'' tax returns. Is it too late to have something done about it? I would like to have arrested
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
It's probably not too late but they may not prosecute him unless he lied or did something else along the lines of fraud in the returns. You may have the option of prosecuting him on the state and federal level.

Contact your local DA and your U.S. Attorney's office to find out if they are willing to pursue it.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Texas Atty's Post: Im truly sorry. I didn't specify the forgery. My husband forged my name on 05' state and federal tax return checks, is it too late to have something done about it?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
Ah. The original question said the returns.

It is very unlikely they will pursue any charges against him for forging your name on the checks, particularly if you live in a community property state. The reason is that most statutes are written based on an "intent to deprive" but if the check was made out to both of you you each had an equal right to all of the money. This is actually something we see pretty regularly and I have never seen a DA prosecute this type of case.

However, it doesn't make it right or mean that your DA won't be willing to prosecute your case. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.