Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

A search warrant was signed by a judge at 9 42 p.m. Night ...

A search warrant was signed by a judge at 9:42 p.m. Night service was specifically denied, so it had to be served within 18 minutes of its signing. I cannot even read the judge''s signature to know who signed it. How do I get the facts to find out who signed it and where it was signed. If the service actually started after 10 p.m. (which is likely but not impossible) does the search warrant automatically get thrown out and evidence excluded? The request for police report was denied. I would like to have the answers before the preliminary. Actually, what I would like is for the search warrant to be thrown out at preliminary and the case never go to court.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
If the document doesn't cointain the judge's information on its' face, when the case is actually filed a copy of the affidavit and application for the search warrant should be contained in the court's file. Your lawyer can also get a copy of the all of the pertinent information during the discovery process.

You can try to have the evidence suppressed due to a bad warrant but it rarely works. Your case may be a candidate though since there was a specific time on the warrant. The key time is when the warrant was served. Warrants aren't "automatically thrown out". You file a motion to suppress the evidence and the judge hears all the facts and then rules.

Baylor Law School. 16 years practice, including criminal law.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.