How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question

Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1801
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a park curfew violation for

Customer Question

I received a "park curfew violation" for being at an Austin, TX city park after 10:00 pm. It says this is a class C Misdemeanor. I have not called the court yet, and was wondering if this would come up for any type of employment background checks or if I should attempt to have this expunged if possible? I am 20 and seeking jobs. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
as it will likely turn up on a background check, and as employers may use it in making hiring and related decisions, seeking expungment is recommended.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. You will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a BONUS and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is appreciated.

Kindly remember that sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 6 years ago.
Under Texas law, expungement is available only if the charges are dismissed or you are found not guilty.

Even if you committed the offense, however, and are convicted or plead guilty, you can ask for "deferred adjudication". This procedure essentially allows you to defer the finding of guilt until after you have finished a period of probation. If you complete probation successfully, the court will dismiss the case, which would allow you to then request expungement.

Finally, if you are convicted or plead guilty and cannot obtain a deferred adjudication, there is still one alternative available to prevent the conviction from being made known to potential employers. This is a Petition for Non-Disclosure, which you would file with the court. If the petition is granted, court officials and law enforcement will be prohibited from revealing the conviction to third parties, such as potential employers.

A park curfew violation seems to be the kind of offense which would be appropriate for either a deferred adjudication, followed by expungement, or an order of non-disclosure.

Good luck with the case and finding employment.

Jim Reilly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RunTam38 CA Lawyer's Post: How would you get deferred adjudication? Is that something that I would have to hire a lawyer for, or do I just ask for it myself?
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 6 years ago.
You can try it this way -- the first time you go to court, ask the judge if he will grant a deferred adjudication if you plead guilty. If he says yes, then it would be okay to do it.

If he says no, then you can enter a not guilty plea and consult with an attorney before your next court appearance.

Jim Reilly

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Fran L.'s Avatar

    Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 27 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.