Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

how do you fight a petty theft charge without an attorney

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Please give me more details and I shall try to assist you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was stopped after I made a purchase. I was in the same store a few days ago and had purchased an item which was still in my bag. The security asked me did I know why I was being detained and I said no. They opened my bad and I explained I had purchased the item a few days ago. He said he saw me take off the plastic. He said, I was standing in back of you. I was questioned in a room and my bag was opened and one of the security said to me are these your pills? I said yes. He said I can't see the name on the bottle. One might think they were drugs. What does that have to do with anything? I was given some paperwork and was told I would get a date to appear in court. The police officer said, "At your age, I don't think you need any bullshit in your life. Just pay the fine when you go to court". What was HE trying to tell me?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

You will want to discuss your case with the prosecuter.

Explain the situation. Explain that you are a first time offender.

The likely result will be that the prosecuter will agree to a deferred judgment.

A deferred judgment means that the charges will be dropped provided you do not commit another crime within a period of time. You will have to pay the court fees and a fine but you will avoid having the charge on your record. (This is likely what the officer meant - pay the fine and not go to trial.)

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!