Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

My husband is in a treatment center on the east coast. He ...

My husband is in a treatment center on the east coast. He is up for parole this winter. My question is in two parts: when paroled, how difficult is it to get a transfer to his home state where all of his support and accountablity mechanisms are, and what do you know about a social supplemental income for parolees when they get out.
There is an interstate compact for transferring supervision of adult parolees. Complete information about the Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision, which oversees the process, is available at their website:

There is a page on this website on which you can submit an inquiry to the Commission. You should do that and provide all of the details of your husband's situation. They will advise you about the procedures for transferring his parole supervision.

Generally speaking, there is very little financial assistance available to parolees. Is California his home state and the place to which he would transfer his parole? Some cities and counties in California have local programs which provide transitional assistance to parolees until they are capable of supporting themselves.

Jim Reilly
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX To anwer your question, yes, his home state is California, the place where his family and I reside. This is where he will get strong support and accountability supervision by all who love him. His offense happened in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, my husband is a good man who did something terrible (one time offender) but is taking responsibility and is and has been working on recovery from his particular addition. I greatly appreciate your response. Thank you again
You're welcome, I am happy to have been able to help.

As I said, some California cities and counties have assistance programs for parolees. What county/city will he be living in?

Jim Reilly