Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
1723468

Is there anyway so that a DUI will not show up on a ...

Is there anyway so that a DUI will not show up on a background check? I am finding it difficult to get a job because of this.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
To clear up a criminal record from showing up on a background check you can request the expungment of your DUI conviction. In general the following criteria in California is considered for a dismissal of the record:

1. If you were given probation, you have either completed it or obtained early release. If you violated your probation and it was either reinstated or revoked, then the court has discretion whether or not to grant you a dismissal.
  2. If you were not given probation, it has been at least one year since the date of conviction.
  3. You have paid all fines, restitution and reimbursement ordered by the court as part of your sentence.
  4. You are not currently under arraignment for a new criminal offense (charges pending), nor are you on probation for another offense.

According to California, the following offenses are not eligible for expungement:

If you were convicted of any of the following offenses you are not eligible for a dismissal under Penal code section 1203.4(a):

• Any misdemeanor within the provisions of Vehicle Code section 42001(b).
  • Any violation of Penal Code section 286(c), 288, 288a(c), 288.5, or 289(j) (sex offenses)
  • A felony under Penal Code section 261.5(d).
  • Any infraction.

It is usually best to speak with a local attorney on expungements. However, you can handle this process yourself if you believe you qualify for the expungement. You can review further details on how to do this and access the forms for California here.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable in the subject matter.