Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I am charged with unlicensed cat-6C018-3B. Where can I ...

I am charged with unlicensed cat-6C018-3B. Where can I find the law, what is the penalty and how do I defend myself? I have never heard of this statute.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 8 years ago.

The licensing of domestic animals is usually carried out on the local government level, not the state level. Unfortunately, the municipal code of Gloucester City, NJ does not seem to be online anywhere. So, I can not find the exact language of the ordinance you cited - 6C018-3B. In these circumstances, you might try contacting the City Clerk's Office for a copy of the law and the penalty. There is a Form on the Website to apply for a car license. You might also try using the Gloucester City Online Help Form to ask for a copy of the law.

Sorry I could not be of more help in providing the exact language of the ordinance, but try the links above. Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Thomas Swartz's Post: I found the website and the cat license is required, however, I believe the cat is too young and she has just moved to the county two weeks ago. I am sure I will accept but I would like to wait 30 minutes for her to return and verify. Is that OK?

I don't know the age the cat must be in order to be licensed. If you just got the cat, or it just moved there, I'm sure the City will waive any the penalty as long as this is explained, and you file for the license.