Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

My son did not stop when the cop attempted to pull himover.

My son did not stop when the cop attempted to pull himover. He went straight to his girlfriends house to give her the kids. When the cop pulled up to the house he informed him not to get out. He got out anyway and attempted to get his kids out the car. Whenhe went to get his kids out the car the officier called for back up and said he was resisting arrest. They locked him up and the nighbors ran to get the kids. They charged him with 3 misdemeanors and 2 criminal. te state is Md. He was released tonight on his own and given a trial date of Oct 6.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
Your son definitely needs an attorney. If you and he cannot afford to hire one, he will be eligible for the public defender.

You are right, this was not a good thing to do. However, if he has no record, didn't drive crazy while refusing to stop and didn't fight with the cops when they finally arrested him, his attorney may be able to get the DA to reduce the charges and agree to a relatively light sentence. For example, because your son is in college, perhaps the DA to agree to some kind of community service instead of any jail time or fine.

Good luck with this. If I can provide any other information, let me know.