Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Former Public Defender, Founder and Criminal Defense Attorney at Appelman Criminal Defense LLC.

I got arrested for conspiracy to commit arson and that the ...

Customer Question

I got arrested for conspiracy to commit arson and that the charge that am facing. The problem is I let a friend (how was drunk)use my truck he tried to set it on fire, when he got caught on scene he told the cops I asked he to "help me out". The only evidence that they have agaist me is my keys and his written statement that states that I asked him to help me out with the truck and that he chose to burn it , he also states in the statment that he was at the bar right before he pickup my truck. I have dicided on a trail by jury cause am not guilty of this , I guess my question is if the jury gave me the worst outcome, since I have never been in any trouble before what would be the worst punishment I could get?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Bappelman replied 8 years ago.
Hello Iggy,

I can help you with your question.

In Louisiana, the possible punishment for Conspiracy to Commit Arson can be up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

That would be the possible sentence for conspiracy to commit arson, with the arson being "arson with intent to defraud." I assume that the police are claiming that you were trying to burn your own truck for the insurance money.

I hope this clears up your question.

Please hit the Accept button so that I can get credit for my work. You can still reply to me if you need to.

Thank you and good luck with your case!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes that what the cops claim how ever the person clear states he never set the truck on fire and that he made the decision to burn it. do you think I would get jail time ?
Expert:  Bappelman replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the reply,

Without knowing the full story that the police are telling I cannot give you a guess about your possible sentence.

If you do not have any criminal history, it is likely that, if you are found guilty, you could get probation. That truly depends on your judge, but with no criminal history you might be able to stay out of jail.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes thats correct I have no criminal history, nor did I tell this person to burn the vehicle. The persons statement state he made the decision to burn the vehicle.