Susan Roberts
Susan Roberts, Judge. retired
Experience:  Retired state trial judge. Civil and criminal experience. 29 years legal practice.
431004

is it possible to hide from the law. its a serious ...

Customer Question

is it possible to hide from the law. it''s a serious question. for about a year. until i can turn myself in with all the money that the victim will be due?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Susan Roberts replied 8 years ago.

If there is a warrant out for your arrest, it can be used in any state. For example, if you are stopped for a traffic offense, your arrest warrant will be available on the policeman's computer or a central computer for that area.

Showing up with all of the money you stole may or may not be sufficient to avoid prosecution. That will be up to the victim and the prosecutor.

Don't count of hiding out for a year to make this go away.

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: Yes, I know it won't go way. I don't want it to. I just want to hide while I accumulate the funds so when I do turn myself in, I can pay it back. I guess I wanted to know, to what extent does law enforcement "search" for individuals with warrants that are not wanted for serious violent or drug crimes. Just every day guys like me.

Thank you for your answer.

Unless it is a major case, law enforcement does not search for offenders.

SR