Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

Can i be forced to take a polygraph test

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
To my knowledge there is no state that forces anyone to take a polygraph test.

I can give you some situations where it is almost forced. An employer can threaten to fire an employee if they refuse. Insurance companies often request a polygrpah when investigating a suspicious claim. I have heard of, but never been involved with, several who claimed that a failure to take the polygraph gave them grounds to refuse to pay a claim as you were "not cooperating in an investigation".

As far as criminal law I have heard rumors that some conditions of probation include having to take a polygraph on demand of the judge or probation officer but I don't know if that is true. If it is true it wouldn't make much difference because polygraph results are not admissible in any states without agreement.

In the context of criminal investigations where you are the suspect they can't force you to take a polygraph.

Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. If you feel my response has been helpful, please click the ACCEPT button and leave feedback if you have a chance. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So not implying to the request I am not in fault to anything
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
The person that wants you to take the polygraph always assumes a refusal is because you're guilty.

The simple fact is they are not reliable. That's why they are not admissible in court.