Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

what is the penalty for criminal conversion in indiana

Customer Question

I recieved a ticket for criminal conversion in Indiana. I need to find out what will be my min and max penalty and how I could avoid being guilty. I shoplifted and merchandise was worth $860.00
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

this is a class D felony and it appears from the Code, the sentence is 6 months to 3 years, with a minimum of 1 1/2 years and a possible fine

IC 35-50-2-7
Class D felony
Sec. 7. (a) A person who commits a Class D felony shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of between six (6) months and three (3) years, with the advisory sentence being one and one-half (1 1/2) years. In addition, the person may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), if a person has committed a Class D felony, the court may enter judgment of conviction of a Class A misdemeanor and sentence accordingly. However, the court shall enter a judgment of conviction of a Class D felony if:
(1) the court finds that:
(A) the person has committed a prior, unrelated felony for which judgment was entered as a conviction of a Class A misdemeanor; and
(B) the prior felony was committed less than three (3) years before the second felony was committed;
(2) the offense is domestic battery as a Class D felony under IC 35-42-2-1.3; or
(3) the offense is possession of child pornography (IC 35-42-4-4(c)).
The court shall enter in the record, in detail, the reason for its action whenever it exercises the power to enter judgment of conviction of a Class A misdemeanor granted in this subsection.