CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I have a friend who is an absconder from the ...

Customer Question

I have a friend who is an absconder from the probation system in the state of North Carolina. Please see http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/apps/offender/offend1?DOCNUM=0760855&SENTENCEINFO=yes&SHOWPHOTO=no for details on his supervision. He was arrested for a DWI again late 2007, and fled to Alaska before he could be processed and punished according to the terms of his probation. He wants me to help him turn himself in, but is quite scared of what punishment he could face. I think it scares him most just not knowing what kind of sentence he will have to face, and that is what I''m trying to help him figure out. Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 8 years ago.
If he was on probation , he could be sentenced to the maximum amount of time, for the charge he was on probation for. The Judge can go less time, if probation makes a recommendation and there are mitigating factors. As far as the DWI, it is total separate and he can face from the lowest to the highest penalties for that. There is no way of knowing the exact amount of time he will get. The probation violation and DWI, are different charges which he will have to answer for.