Katherine K
Katherine K, Lawyer
Experience:  Legal research expert

My dog was recently stolen. I was told by the local police ...

My dog was recently stolen. I was told by the local police that pet theft is a felony in Mississippi. I know that pet theft is illegal in all 50 states when used for dog fighting. My question is: Is pet theft illegal in all 50 states even if stolen pets are not used for dog fighting? If not, could you give me a reference that shows the ranking of states and their stand on pet theft as a felony or not? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

I am sorry that your dog was stolen; I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have gotten him or her back.

In Mississippi:

§ 97-17-51. Larceny; stealing dog

Every person who shall feloniously steal, take and carry away any dog, the property of another, shall be subject to indictment therefor, and on conviction shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($ 500.00), or imprisoned in the county jail not more than six (6) months, or both, or imprisoned in the penitentiary not less than one year nor more than two years.

The laws will vary by state, but generally animals are treated as property so the laws are similar to theft of property. I have not seen anything that lists all of the state laws.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions.