romlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 75+ Trials, 1000s of cases, Licensed in PA

On May 25, 2008 I was arrested for having a dog in a truck

Customer Question

On May 25, 2008 I was arrested for having a dog in a truck without water (was never asked if I knew this was a law). Windows were left open for the dog. Was given a citation for $275.00 which I am going to court to fight. I believe with officer descretion I could have been given a warning. When female officer put cuffs on (too tight) I asked her several times to loosen, which she did not. 15 minutes later my sister finally got another female officer to loosen as my hands had turned purple. Officer that put me in the car stated "I'll try to make you more comfortable than you did that animal". I have since been unable to wear any of my rings since this occurred. I went to a doctor who put me on predisone to relieve inflamation. I called PD internal affairs but they concluded that officer acted properly. I am your basic "model citizen". Do I have grounds for a civil suit?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  romlawyer replied 8 years ago.

If the cuffs were put on too tight, and it was done by the police officer in malicious or improper way, yes you can sue in Federal Court...

You need a civil rights attorney... whether you have a case will have to do with the circumstances of the arrest, as well as how well you heal up....