Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I did background history check,handgun permit.my paper work ...

Customer Question

I did background history check,handgun permit.my paper work came back convicted felon,poor relief,grand theft ,used many names. I was book for poor relief,that it ,someone used my identity ,how will ,I go about geting this off my record who can find out my background check.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, this is going to be a fairly complicated process for you do clear this mess. You can start by going to your local law enforcement agency and explain the problem and ask that they check your fingerprints against the arrest record of the person who used your identity. That may clear the problem up for you immediately, since then they can make corrections in the computer system. If the local law enforcement agency is not willing to assist you, then you will need to get an attorney to assist you by going to the court where this other peson was convicted and asking the court to clear the record up, which will involve fingerprinting you and trying to clear your through those means, as well as providing as much other evidence as possible that this other person is not you. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can call the state bar and ask about the pro bono referral program.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.