Crimlawyer
Crimlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. magna cum laude, Clerk for Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2005, practicing lawyer
10163806

my son and his girlfriend both aged 16 are being charged

my son and his girlfriend both aged 16 are being charged with statutory rape in California for having sex is there any thing her mother and i can do
How did this happen? In other words, why are they being charged?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the police where investigating her father and they asked her she told them yes her and her boyfriend was sexually active
This is a terrible situation for you in California. In California, the age of consent is 18 (where in most states it is 16) and there is no exception for sex between minors (where in most states, sex between minors is not a crime). I suggest two courses of action. If you can hire a lawyer, please do so. If you cannot afford one, then apply for a public defender immediately. Secondly, contact your local branch of the ACLU and tell them what is happening and see if they will intervene. www. aclu.or will be helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your advice