Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was convicted of a felony at 17 , im 24 now. Am

I was convicted of a felony at 17 , im 24 now. Am I a convicted felone ? Can I get a gun ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

Hi Daniel

please tell me if you were charged and convicted as an adult, what the crime was and your sentence and did this happen in FLA

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Samuel-II's Post: Yes , I was convicted in Florida and I was convicted as a juvinile the crime was strong arm robbery.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

Hi

according to FLA law, if you were convicted as a juvenile then you can have your records expunged 5 years after reaching age 21. so you would have a couple more years before you can apply for the expunction. once you do that then you would be able to own a gun. you should confer with a nearby lawyer to help you when the time comes because you will want to make sure that the records are then properly sealed

good luck to you

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Even though I did a government check and it went through and they said I could get a gun
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

who did a government check? was that a NICS background check? If NICS came back clean then you're good to go. i am not sure how that is possible when the law states that if you were convicted you must be expunged to have records cleared. perhaps you got a deferred sentence where you complete some type of probation? that is why I asked what the sentence was

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Samuel-II's Post: I did the government check in bass pro shop and yes I did probation and completed it
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

Hi

well, if you had a probabtion and you successfully completed it then your juvenile record would be sealed at this point. if you have been convicted and had a sentence of say 1 year and that would still pertain. if pro bass did a federal background check thru NICS and nothing showed then that is because you completed your probation and records have been sealed.

if NICS comes backs clean then you can buy a gun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you and one more question what does nics stand for
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.
National Instant Criminal Background Check System - it is a database that is connected to all states and the FBI. so if this was completed and clean then it means you have no record. it is requried to purchase a gun
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dp you have a number for them