CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I WAS CHARGED WITH THEFT OF PROPERTY 3RD DEGREE HERE IN ...

I WAS CHARGED WITH THEFT OF PROPERTY 3RD DEGREE HERE IN ALABAMA, WENT TO COURT PLEAD GUILTY PAID THE $500 IN FEES AND ALL ,THE 30 DAY''S IN JAIL WAS PASSED OVER AND THE YEAR UNSUPERVISED PROBATION.THE PROPERTY WAS TAKEN FROM A RETAIL STORE. I HAD TO BORROW THE MONEY FOR ALL OF THIS. NOW I GET A LETTER FROM THIS ATTORNEY IN CALIFORNIA FROM THE RETAIL STORE STATING I OWE THEM $200, THEY HAVE THE MERCHANDISE AND NO HARM WAS DONE TO IT, AND IT WAS ONLY $110 WORTH OF MERCHANDISE . IT''S SOME TYPE OF CIVAL ACTION LAW THEY ARE TAKING AGAINST ME, MY QUESTION IS CAN I GO BACK TO JAIL IF I REFUSE TO PAY THEM AND EXACTLY WHAT CAN THEY DO TO ME IF I DO NOT PAY THEM BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THEY ARE TRYING TO EXTORT MONEY FROM ME I DON''T HAVE ANY MORE MONEY TO GIVE I HAVE ALREADY LOST MY JOB BECAUSE OF THIS, SO I DON''T KNOW WHERE THEY THINK IT''S GOING TO COME FROM, SO WHAT EXACTLY CAN BE DONE TO ME IF I DO NOT PAY THE STORE? PLEASE DO NOT DISCLOSE MY NAME THANK YOU
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 8 years ago.

It is not uncommon in retail theft cases, that a civil suit is filed by the victim. However, retail stores often offer the option to the defendant, to avoid the civil suit, by paying a $200 fee. By paying the fee, the store will agree to not file a lawsuit against you. If you chose to not pay the money, the store has the option of filing the law suit. If they do and a judgement is awarded for them, you not only will have to pay the amount they are asking, but have to pay attorneys fees for the opposing party. If you don't pay, they may decide it is not worth pursuing, but if they do, be prepared to have to defend yourself in a civil suit and if you lose, pay more then the $200.