Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

A candidate for the office of mayor accepts a $500.00 ...

A candidate for the office of mayor accepts a $500.00 campaign contribution from someone. The mayoral candidate wins the election and immediately after the swearing in process the business meeting of the city commences. During this meeting there are several city board appointments to be made concerning the Economic Development Board of Directors. With the exception of one person, all sitting board members are reappointed. The mayor attempts to replace the lone member with the individual who gave the $500.00 donation and who has not officially applied to be appointed to any city board.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
It certainly does appear to be unethical, but, if the donation was made without any promises by the mayor, then it is unlikely to be any violation of law or the ethics code. Political patronage occurs all of the time and contributors often benefit from this patronage. As long as it was a legitmate donation, nothing prohibits trying to appoint a contributor. The law does prevent someone from paying for a political appointment.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
AS MAYOR, HE IS THE CHAIR OF THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION. HIS APPOINTEE WOULD BE VOTING ON ISSUES AS THEY ARE BROUGHT TO THE BOARD FOR CONSIDERATION BY THE CHAIR OR CITY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR. THIS BOARD OVERSEES SPENDING OF $3.5+/- MILLION OF SALES TAX REVENUES ON PROJECTS THROUGHOUT THE CITY. WOULD NOT THE COALITION OF THE MAYOR AND THE APPOINTEE BE CONSIDERED AN IMPROPER INFLUENCE ON A VOTE THAT "SHOULD" BE AN IMPARTIAL "VOTE OF CONSCIENCE"?
I understand that and as a citizen you have the right to oppose the nomination in accordance with the city laws. You also have a right to be present at all of the open meetings. However, these types of appointments are made all of the time and are not illegal unless someone can prove that the person is paying bribe money for the position.