Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Atty for 24+ years; Plain English explanations

If detained by law enforcement are you under any ...

Customer Question

If detained by law enforcement are you under any circumstances legally obligated to talk to them and what is the correct manner to end the detainement?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

If detained, politely give the police your correct name, address and phone, but you are not required to answer any questions or respond in any way.

What do you mean about "end the detainment?" Are you talking about on a street, in a vehicle, at the police station? Please give me a little background.

Thanks,

Jane

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Jane Doe Deer's Post: Is it better to ask the first question to law enforcement: "Am I being detained" and if the answer is yes then to take the position that you will not answer any questions without legal counsel present?

If the answer is "no, you are not being detained" then leave the encounter?

PS:To be clear: If police are investigating any matter that you may be involved in, direct or indirect, you have absolutly no obligation to answer any questions?

You need to provide your name and contact information. Otherwise, you are under no obligation to respond. But don't be an ass about it either. If they ask, "Is that your car," and it's your car, say so; don't just clam up, especially when they can find out it's your car.

In response to your first paragraph, yes.

In response to your second paragraph, politely ask, "am I free to leave now?"

I'd be happy to email some more if you have more follow-up questions. If not, please click ACCEPT so that I can get paid. We can still write after you pay. Feedback and $$$ Bonuses are gratefully appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using Just Answer, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and me or my law firm. Our conversation may show up on an Internet search. Contact the moderator or me to make sure personal information is removed from your email if that is a concern.

Best of luck to you,

Jane Doe Deer

Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience: Atty for 24+ years; Plain English explanations
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jane:
Please remove any personal information from my emails to you so as not to appear on any internet searches

Thanks,

Doug
There's nothing personal in your emails. Take care!