How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a nickname be used in signing legal documents

Resolved Question:

Can a nickname be used in signing legal documents? This would be a name that has been used throughout your life but was never changed legally. This name has been used on the purchase of a home, a marriage, and the signing of other legal documents such as drivers license.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Certainly, and it looks as though you (or the other person) has done it successfully throughout a lifetime. It's all right to use a name other than the one given to you at birth as long as you're not using the other name to defraud.

If that's all you needed to know, please click "accept." Otherwise, I'd love to hear back from you!



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Doe Deer's Post: This person did not have to legally change her name first? You can be given a nickname as a child and use this name as your legal name?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Well, you're using it as your name. It's "legal" because it identifies you.

Is there some problem that you're looking into? Maybe we should discuss this from another approach.

But if my name at birth was Robert and for the next 90 years I signed my name "Bob," what's the harm and who's the harm to?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This would be someone given the same name as her mother as a junior not liking it and using the name Dolly instead of Eva. Would this then be a legal name to use?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

If it's not for fraud, Dolly could call herself that all her life. But in order to get a driver's license with that name, instead of Eva, Dolly is first going to have to get her name changed legally.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So you know this is not me but her drivers license is in the name of Dolly and her name was never legally changed to this name. What would this do to any legal documents signed with this name having to show your drivers license as proof of who you are?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

I have a suggestion. Why don't you tell me what's going on? Then we can get right to the point.

Thanks! :)


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok 16 years ago my husband divorced his wife of 4 years. Prior to the divorce they had been separated for 2 1/2 years and he purchased a home before escrow closed because he loved his son so much he decided to reconcile with Dolly and added her name to the house. That lasted 2 months and she moved out. By the time they went to court the housing market in Moreno Valley had fallen. So much that the house was then worth 20,000 less then what he had purchased it for. With no money for an attorney the divorce was done through a paralegal. In the divorce she was to get 10,000 or 50% of the equity. By the time we were able to pay this money the housing market went crazy. We refinanced the house but at the time we were only able to give her a portion of the money with the agreement that in 2 years we would give her the balance.This was put into a notorized document. She agreed not in writing that if there was a problem in getting all of the money she would work with us. Two years passed and now the market has gone the other way and there is not the equity in the house to give her all of the money and is refusing to work with us in any way. He has made offers to her she said she was insulted. He has every intention of paying this money he has never told her he wouldn't but we are not wealthy people.My husband has never not paid his debts He is now being sued for the house. He is a hard working man at the same company for 20 years that made some bad choices.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Ah, thank you. If you attempt to use the argument that Dolly is not the woman's legal name as some sort of defense in this suit, you will be laughed out of court. Sorry, but it makes not difference. It is what is called "de minimus" - such a small thing it makes no difference.

If you haven't already you'll need to get help from an attorney if you can - at least some coaching now and then.


I'd be happy to email some more if you have more follow-up questions. If not, and I've answered your original question to your complete satisfaction, please click ACCEPT so that I can get paid. We can still write after you pay. Feedback and $$$ Bonuses are gratefully appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using Just Answer, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and me or my law firm. Please be advised that our conversation may show up on an Internet search. Contact the moderator or me to make sure personal information is removed from your email if that is a concern.

Best of luck to you,

Jane Doe Deer

Jane Doe Deer and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions