Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced criminal law.
635143

Someone put a date rape drug in my friends drink.

Someone put a date rape drug in my friends drink. What recourse does she have? Can she press charges?

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

You friend should file a police report, so the police may start an investigation into the matter. A police investigation may be helpful in furnishing any missing pieces in what she went through, especially if her memory is unclear. It may also help her uncover the culprit.

If she can establish who put the drug in her drink, she may be able to press criminal charges and/or hold the individual responsible for her damages in a civil lawsuit. Of course her success may depend upon her evidence.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Law Girl's Post: She knows who the guy is but was able to get away before anything happened. The police told her they could not do anything because he did not assault here. Can she still file a police report?

Did she go to the hospital? Can she prove the drug was in her system?

-KAT

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes had a test and she has the actual drinks from that night. The bartender gave it to her in bottle.

If the authorities will not press charges because she was not "assaulted" then she may have a hard time pursuing this criminally. However, if she is very set on pursuing this, she may consider consulting with a local personal injury attorney. She should take her tests and all of her evidence to the meeting, so the attorney may review it. Depending on how sick she got from the introduction of the drug into her system, an attorney may be able to work with her to hold the drugger responsible.