Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Detectives from the state attorneys office questioned ...

Customer Question

Detectives from the state attorneys office questioned me for approx 2 hours. This was after I told them I had the flue and was on medications. I was not morandized, will my statements hold up in court?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The police cannot question you in a criminal matter without advising you of your Miranda Rights, which you already seem to be aware of. If you were not Mirandized and given the opportunity to get a lawyer, then you can challenge the statement and seek to get it surpressed and not admitted in court against you. You can also challenge the statement based on your physical condition at the time of the intrrogation, but you will need medical documentation to support the fact that you were not fully capable of making rational decisions at the time they interrogated you.

You need to have an attorney get involved to fight to have this statement thrown out. If you cannot afford one, you can go to your Legal Aid Society and/or your State Bar Association for a low cost or free attorney, at least to begin the process, even before they appoint you a public defender in court.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the State Attorney Investigator considered law enforcement?
Absolutely. They are hired by the governmental prosecutorial agency and have the authority to arrest, therefore, they are considered law enforcement.