rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Assistant District Attorney - NYC; Criminal Defense Experience for 30+ years
3071004

what is the outcome of being charged with 1st degree forgery

Customer Question

i was charged with two counts of 1st degree forgery and fraud, and I just wanted to know what would my punishment be in the state of GA? I have a public defender trying to fight my case, but I have yet to speek to him about it, and my court date is 4 days away. Should I hire a lawyer instead?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Here is the statute:

§ 16-9-1. Forgery in the first degree

(a) A person commits the offense of forgery in the first degree when with intent to defraud he knowingly makes, alters, or possesses any writing in a fictitious name or in such manner that the writing as made or altered purports to have been made by another person, at another time, with different provisions, or by authority of one who did not give such authority and utters or delivers such writing.

(b) A person convicted of the offense of forgery in the first degree shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years.

I would get a new lawyer yesterday.

rich