romlawyer
romlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 75+ Trials, 1000s of cases, Licensed in PA
9045092

I was arrested for a class B misdemeanor. can it b dismissed ...

I was arrested for criminal trespassing b/c I was staying at a hotel in Austin, TX. I arrived late from a party (around 5:30a.m.) I went to my room and my key did not work so I went to the front desk. The desk clerk took about 10-15min to respond to me and then treated me terribly. I think it is because I disturbed her nap. We ended up arguing and she had someone escort me to my room to get all my things. I was a bit intoxicated so I just wanted to go to sleep and check out when I could drive. I was charged for the room and it should have been mine until 12:00 noon. She called the police while I was on the phone with the hotels customer service and they just came in, removed my things and arrested me without reading me my rights or telling me what I was being charged with. All I did was ask the officer if I could tell him what happened. He said he didn''t care and pushed me and handcuffed me. This is my 1st offense & I did pay for the room (have receipt).
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  romlawyer replied 8 years ago.

I would trust your attorney.

The receipt is your best defense. It shows you were authorized to be present, and should be enough to beat the trespassing charge.