Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I know this person who has been locked up for 14year for a ...

I know this person who has been locked up for 14year for a murder that he did not commit. He has been transfered from prison to prison. He is now at a prison where the guards there tried to kill him. How could this problem be addressed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If he is being abused by the guards he will need to get an attorney to file a civil rights violation claim against the prison and the guards. He can also get the attorney to file with the department of corrections to seek to have him moved for his own physical safety. These types of cases are very difficult and even though many prisoners feel they can handle them by representing themselves, very few pro se prisoner cases ever go anyplace. If he cannot afford an attorney, he can get one at a reduced rate or free of charge through the state's legal aid society and/or the state bar association.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!