Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

This is my first ticket in NYC for unreasonable ...

This is my first ticket in NYC for "unreasonable noise from auto".. it says that I have to show up in court, and if I plea guilty my license could be suspended or revoked. My music wasn''t even loud, but my windows and sunroof were all open and the cops passed my car about a foot of distance. Of course they are going to hear noise!!! Plus, I was on one of the busiest streets in Queens, I''m sure there was noise coming from cafes that were louder than my radio. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The information about the license suspension or revocation is the maximum penalty you could recieve. You should go to court and discuss the case with the prosecutor and it is likely you will be allowed to simply pay a small fine without any effect on your . You can get an attorney to represent you, even if you cannot afford one, by calling the legal aid society and/or the state bar association. I am attaching the law with the schedule of fines you can expect follow this link: http://www.nyccouncil.info/pdf_files/bills/law05113.pdf

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So should I plead guilty or not guilty? Either way, they shouldnt suspend or revoke my license, right?
Plead not guilty at first unless they are offering that you merely pay a small fine, then you could plead guilty or no contest. Just because they can suspend or revoke doesn't mean they will, but you should clarify that with the prosecutor before you make your plea.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But they won't tell me about any "small fines" until after I plead right? So how will I know? I'm scared of Judges. hahahah So Plead Not Guilty at first... what do I say to them when they ask "Why do you think you're Not guilty?" ??
No. If you discuss the matter that means you ask what they are willing to offer you in exchange for a no contest plea (I would not plead guilty to this unless they give you no other choice in exchange for the fine). That is how a plea agreement works, the prosecutor tells you what your fine or sentence would be before you enter a plea. This is why I suggested that you get a lawyer to go in and represent you. First, the lawyer is familiar with the procedure and anything the lawyer says to the prosecutor on your behalf cannot be used against you, unlike whatever you say about the incident to the prosecutor can be used. Second, the lawyer may have a professional rapport with the prosecutor and can get you a better deal because the two have worked together in the past.

But the short answer to your question is the prosecutor will have to tell you the deal before you decide on how to plead.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks everyone!!
You are welcome. I hope it helps.