Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

my daughter was at an after prom party in Vermont.

my daughter was at an after prom party in Vermont. The police obtained a warrant to search the rented house on a tip from local police. The vermont police found kegs of beer in the house and administered breathalyzers to all the kids in the house. My daughter is a minor and they were aware she was. Was this legal to administer the test to her? I don''t believe she was read her rights before the test.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Because your daughter is a minor, the police should have provided an independent juvenile advocate to be present. If she was not advised of her rights, this is another challenge to the charges. Since you cannot afford an attorney, you are entitled to representation at no charge because this is a criminal matter. You should check with Vermont Legal Aid or the Vermont Bar Association and they will get you in touch with a free or low cost attorney to represent your daughter. You need to get her representation as soon as possible so the attorney can get all of the evidence and information the police have through discovery and can better prepare her defense.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!