Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced criminal law.

I have a question regarding California Age of Consent laws.

I have a question regarding California Age of Consent laws. Is it ever legal for a minor to have a sexual relationship with an adult. Example 15 year old with a 19 year old. Can a parent give consent and it be legal? Can someone outside the family prosecute the adult (19 year old)? This information is requested as a project for health class and now that we have been researching it, we are very curious as there is no clear answer online.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The age for sexual consent is 18 in California. It would never be legal for a 15 year old to have sex with a 19 year old. Nor can a parent give consent for someone under 18 to have sex with someone over the age of 18. Someone inside or outside the family could notify the authorities of the relationship, in which case charges could be pressed against the party over 18 years old.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!