Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

what is theft 500 in the state of texas

i just found out i have a theft 500 on my record from dallas county court that i didnt know anything about.only thing i can think of is i rented a cleaner for couple of days, manager of the building was cleaning my carpet because i was moving out. but she assured me she would drop the cleaner off at the local store, because i was completely out of time...what happens if she really did not drop that cleaner off? can a store go and charge me for theft 500? if so how do i get that removed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Theft of $500 or more in Texas is a Class A Misdemeanor, which is punishable by not more than 1 year in jail and/or a fine of not more than $4000. You need to learn the specifics of the theft to get more details on whether or not you have grounds to successfully fight it and you should have an attorney represent you in this matter. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can get one at low cost or pro bono from legal aid or the Texas Bar Association.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!