Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

As a Defendant in an assualt case I want to take a ...

Customer Question

As a Defendant in an assualt case I want to take a voluntary polygraph exam to prove that i did not touch the victim is this evidence allowed in Maryland court?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Polygraph tests in Maryland are. inadmissible to prove the guilt or innocence. of an individual in a criminal case.Guesfeird v. State, 300 Md. 653, 658 (1984); Lusby v. State, 217 Md. 191, 194-95 (1958). Sorry, this will not be allowed.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Other then the 911 tapes i have is there any other solid evidence i can use to prove innocence, the polygraph would not be allowed even if the judge agreed or would he not even give me the option?
Unfortunately, there is usually not a lot of evidence that is available in these types of cases, it is usually one person's word against the other, absent any actual physical evidence. Again, polygraphs are not allowed in MD to prove guilt or innocence. Sorry.