CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

i received my first violation a few days before being ...

Customer Question

i received my first violation a few days before being eligible for early termination of probation my question is can i still get off early once i finish paying restitution which should be within this next month being that the violation was a misdemeanor
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 8 years ago.
Most likely not. When applying for an early termination of probation, one of the things that Judge looks at, is if you have complied with all the terms and conditions. One of those, is that you can not pick up any new charges, while on probation. You need to be a law abiding citizen. Moreover, when you go in front of the Judge to ask for early term, they will run your name in the system and see if there are any open charges against you. Also, if you have not even paid off your restitution, that would hinder your early term. While you certainly can file a motion for the early termination, the Judge will use their discretion to decide if you should be let off. Picking up a new charge, is a tough thing to explain to the Judge, as to why he should terminate your probation, when you are still getting in trouble.