How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

4 years ago i was arrested for petty theft in florida. i ...

Resolved Question:

4 years ago i was arrested for petty theft in florida. i had to move out of my place and never went to court for it. i would like to take care of this but need to get a drivers license or id card to travel, my current one has expired. once i go to get a new id, will the police use this to come to my residence
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.


If you failed to appear in court, more than likely you have a bench warrant out for your arrest. If you go to DMV to get a renewal on an ID or Driver's License - when they run that number the bench warrant will appear and you will a renewal on any documents. I suggest, you might consider checking with the court if you have a warrant for you arrest, if so you should consider a surrender - and you might want to consult with a local attorney to assist with that matter.

Keep in mind, a bench warrant has a life of its own until served or otherwise recalled by the issuing court.

Best to you,


If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions