legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney for 7 years

My sons girlfriend was being held in a store for

My sons'' girlfriend was being held in a store for shoplifting. This girl is a good girl ,my son however, no so good. When I was asked to go get her I presumed I was cleaning up one of my sons messes and felt obligated to get her. SO lie #1 I said I was her Aunt. I didn''t realize she was being charged the atmosphere of the securety room was friendly. Then the officer explains she is being charged. I about fainted. I had my small children with me and pictured them heading to childrens services if I confess right then and there that I in fact was NOT related. So from 9pm last night I have been packing up everything but the essentials we may need before I head to prison for lieing to an officer.I barely know her parents and can not bring myself ask them to continue the lie so when they are asked if I am her aunt then my world changes. I just want to know how long does one go to jail for this.
You will not be arrested or put in prison for stating that you were the girls aunt. As long as you were not under arrest and then lied, you are free and clear. Also, as long as your misrepresentation did not impeed the investigation, which it does not sound like it did, you are fine. You may be questioned but since you were not involved in the shopplifting you should just be honest, you are the mom of her boyfriend and wanted to help her but once you realized charges were being brought you removed yourself from the situation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She was released to me and I followed her home as the officer requested. So I didn't exactly remove myself from the situation THAT is what I am worried about.
Well, just excorting her home under the direction of the officer is not a criminal violation. Eventhough he thought you were her aunt you did not do anything that will get you sent to prison. Is she in the custody of her parents now?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Since is now in the custody of her parents, the police will be able to find her and your representation has not hindered or interferred with the situation as to stop them from finding her or proceeding, so you should not worry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I intend to hit the "accept" again. I just need to borrow some money. 90$ in a week or one day is a lot right now. But well worth it.

Thank you so much for your time.