J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
6118667

How is payment determined if she has no money

Customer Question

I just need some piece of mind at this time until we find an atty. This is a he said, she said situation that I just do not know what to do. How does WI law make her pay a $100,000 debt when she has NO money except what she needs to exist, food, rent etc and raise her two wonderful children. Does she go to jail, or does a set amount of money get paid according to her income. This is just nuts my mind as a layperson.

Please help!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
Please incorporate the other answer that I gave you with this answer.

Your daughter needs to get all the proof that she can that she reimbursed X for her credit card usage on his card. If she was authorized to use the card, ultimately, much responsibility for this debt will rest on X and not on her. X can bring an action against her, but if she proves that she had authorization and that she paid X for her charges, she should not have any liability as it was not her card. The cc company wants to collect from as many people as possible; however, if X let her use the card, then X is primarily responsible as it is X's card.

Now to answer your questions: people do not go to jail in the US because of cc debts. She will create a payment plan with the companies, or she will declare bankruptcy. She will negotiate a payment plan with the companies or else she may find a legal way to escape the debts. The same thing is true for X since X is the cardholder. Please let me know if you have further questions.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.