Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced criminal law.
635143

ONE OF MY FRIENDS WAS CHARGED WITH PETTY THEFT , THE

ONE OF MY FRIENDS WAS CHARGED WITH PETTY THEFT , THE ITEM WAS AROUNG $ 30.00 , WAS BOOKED AND GIVEN A COURT DATE ..SHE HAS A SON OF 16 MONTHS AND THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME SHE HAS DONE THIS , WHAT KIND OF CHARGES CAN CHE FACE IN CALIFORNIA?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

California is pretty tough on shoplifters, so this may seem extreme given you friend's situation. However, given the value of the item and the fact that she has not done this before, she could face: a small fine; 1 to 3 years informal probation; community service; and/or a misdemeanor charge.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what does informal probation mean?
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Where she would be given probation terms that she would need to abide by, but that it would not be as formal or as rigorous as a regular probation. It could be a more relaxed form of probation.