J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
6118667

My daughter age 32 recently ended a 5 yr relationship with ...

Customer Question

My daughter age 32 recently ended a 5 yr relationship with her boyfriend as there were conflicts with her 2 children. The package deal just wasn''t working. During this relationship she used her boyfriends credit card and paid him back in cash. Of course there is nothing to back this up. He is claiming that there is $32,000 due to him. If this goes further she could be charged with 3 times the amount due and be responsible for all atty fees. In other words almost a $100,000 judgement against her. We met with the boyfriend''s atty yesterday without the boyfriend. He stated that the court could incur an amount set that she must pay. Does that mean a set amount paid each month ona so-called payment plan. Exactly how does this work? My daughte resides in the state of WI. Lots more details and it seems I''m about to run out of space. Please advise. Thankyou
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
A consultation with a lawyer who will protect your daughter's interests is required ASAP. Right now, no one is concerned with your daughter's legal rights. No one is representing them. She needs an attorney to review the case and the facts against her. According to her version, she may owe $0.00. If she can prove that, then she certainly should not agree to a judgment or a payment plan because if she agrees, then she may have a legal requirement to complete payments. Have her get all the proof that she can whether documents or testimony or bank slips to prove her case. Take all this information to the lawyer and show the lawyer the evidence. The lawyer will have advice at that point. Negotiate fees before hiring any lawyer as fees are negotiable. Contact a number of lawyers so that you are comfortable with one before hiring him or her. Good luck.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience: 23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to J D Haas's Post: As her mother I am really scared for her. Down the road can her personal household items be conviscated as payment even though she has very humble household items. She also owns a vehicle and I paid for that and actually paid off the boyfriend's loan so the title is now in her name. Should she title that vehicle solely in her name or should I have it put in her name. I'm sorry to be such a pest but I am concerned and am trying not to worry. A lot of her transactions to Chris were just paid in cash to him. How does she ever prove anything if he has all the information.
Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
No, generally personal items, tools for a business, a vehicle for work, etc. cannot be taken in a judgment. Title the car in her name only. She can subpoena information from Chris or she can testify and she can have anyone else testify that has proof of these transactions. Good luck.

questions.