Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

I met a customer service representative for AT&T when I ...

I met a customer service representative for AT&T when I called to switch my service and he asked me out over the phone. I agreed to meet him but then he used my personal information to drive to the area where I lived. I called and reported him to AT&T at which point he claimed he lost $2,000 as a result of his disciplinary action from them which I later verified was not true (unfortunately, this was AFTER he made me feel guilty enough to actually give him the money). He ended up losing his job over this and we continued to "date" for the next several months, but he kept laying on the guilt trip about his job loss and I evenutally gave him another $3,000. A $1,000 of which he signed and later stole from my wallet, a piece of paper saying he would pay me back when he got another job. He eventually dumped me for no apparent reason and said he never wanted to have anything to do with me again. Do I have a case against him for fraud?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear tlerisckson

It does not appear to be any foundation for a case of fraud, because you willing gave him the money - however, if he went into your wallet and took the money, you can file criminal theft charges for the $1000. However, it could be a s/he said situation. Witnesses would help you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: Just a clarification. He didn't actually take the money from my wallet, only the piece of paper he signed saying he would pay it back. So, basically you are saying that even though I was conned out of this money I have no recourse? What if I had testimony to the fact that he never lost the $2,000 from AT&T to begin with?
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

I do not see how you were conned - you willingly entered a relationship. Surely, you do not feel that giving money to someone means they will be with you forever or that your money could buy his love.

If you have information that he did not actually lose his job or the $2000, I cannot see how that will make a difference. You willing gave him the money without a contract to repay it. Unfortunately, he lied to you. You did not have to believe him. It is a sad commentary on our society, but we have thieves among us and dishonest people among us.

If you want to use the note on the $1000 he took, then you could try to sue him in small claims court. However, I suggest, a court will see this as "sour grapes" because he is no longer in a relationship with you.

Best to you,

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs