Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

In Texas, is a Concealed Handgun Licensee (CHL) ...

Customer Question

In Texas, is a Concealed Handgun Licensee (CHL) required to display there CHL when caring a handgun when stopped for traffic violation without being asked by the officer in order not to be in violation?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

No. You would only be required to disclose if asked. You can disclose, but there is no manadate. Remember a handgun in your vehicle must be concealed. If an officer asks if you have a firearm, then you can produce your license and explain the firearm is concealed in your vehicle. While it is "recommended" there is no law to reveal that information.

This is directly from the Texas Deparment of Public Safety website

Traveling on Texas Roadways with Concealed Handguns

Traffic stop policies vary among law enforcement agencies. Your local police department or sheriff's office can tell you what to expect if stopped while carrying a handgun within their jurisdictions.

Texas Department of Public Safety troopers will ask you:

• Whether you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun
  • Whether you have the gun with you
  • Where the gun is located

A trooper may disarm a licensee anytime he or she feels that safety is at risk. The trooper will return the gun at the end of the traffic stop when the threat to safety has passed.

When stopped by a law enforcement officer, DPS recommends that you:

• Keep your hands in plain sight
  • Cooperate fully with the police officer
  • If you have a gun with you, tell the officer as soon as possible
  • Don't make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon
  • At night, turn on your vehicle's dome light

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You Michelle.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

No problem. A pleasure to assist. Best to you ~ M