Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

My home was entered while I was out of town. They had ...

My home was entered while I was out of town. They had copied my keys or used a "bump key" to get in so there was not evidence of a breakin. My computer was hacked into by a computer expert on our townhome board of directors. I only know this intuitively. There is no hard evidence. My computer guy came out and "fixed" it so I am now very protected. Locks changed to Medeco. Old ones discarded. Can I file a police report? Police said things have to be missing.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 8 years ago.

You can and should file a police report - just go down there and get the form and fill it out and hand it to them, keep a copy - this should be documented for future reference!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I called police dept and they said this is a civil matter. Is that true?

Of course it could be a civil matter if you knew whom to sue; but breaking and etnering is also a criminal matter and you should make the police report - you want there to be a record of the event in the police department!