romlawyer
romlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 75+ Trials, 1000s of cases, Licensed in PA
9045092

I was called and informed that I am a suspect in a ...

I was called and informed that I am a suspect in a case that has to do with fraudulently using someone''s student ID card to order pizza. The call was made on my phone but I honestly had nothing to do with it. The investigator told me that I was up for felony charges if I do not find the person who called and used the ID. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  romlawyer replied 8 years ago.

The easiest way to get rid of an investigation like this is to get a defense attorney involved. Once have one, you most likely will never be charged.

He / she may also be able to help you get out of this without blowing in who ever actually made the call. (if this is a concern)

Talking to the police further on your own will not prevent a charge.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The investigator also said that if I gave him the name of who actually took the ID number that he would give him a chance to pay the owner of the card back. This investigator is a campus investigator, I dont know if that makes a difference but I really didnt do anything except let someone borrow my phone.
Expert:  romlawyer replied 8 years ago.

The problem is if you knew he was using a stolen ID number, and admit to the same, you facilitated a crime which makes you an accomplice and / or conspirator.

See a defense attorney ASAP.