How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31657
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was caught shoplifting worth 140 dollars, i am a ...

Customer Question

i was caught shoplifting worth 140 dollars, i am a permanent resident and soon be eligible to apply for citizenship. Now i am worried how this shoplifting charges will effect me. i was charged with misdemeanor. i am planning to hire a lawyer but just needed to know what would be better if my charged will reduced to diversion or infraction in terms of aquiring citizenship or finding a job. i am a nursing student.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

If this is your first offense, you should hire an attorney to try and get your charge remanded. This means that the misdemeanor will not go on your record; you may also be required to pay restitition.

However, this is much better than having even a misdemeanor on your record. You don't want to have anything following you when you apply for citizenship.

Hiring an attorney would greatly help your chances in getting this matter remanded.