Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience
9164795

Fraud

Customer Question

I credit un authorized credits to my credit card through my employer. I havve paid what I believe to be 90% of it back. He wants to prosecute. I live in WA state and have no previous record at all. What will happen to me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 8 years ago.

I would estimate that you would get a period of supervised probation and not go to jail for this - however what actually happens depends on the judge and the maximum allowable sentence under the statutesin your state. WHat you did is larceny, and if it was more than a couple of hundred bucks then it is a felony which no doubt carries a maximumpunishment that includes fins and jail time. However, if you are paying it all back the judge will be impressed with that and I think you will probably avoid time in jail!

All the best,