How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31526
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in washington State. I have a girlfriend that ...

This answer was rated:

I live in washington State. I have a girlfriend that is mentaly Ill Bi=polar. She also does not work and drinks throughout the day (beer and wine) some times she self inflicks damage to herself and blames me for it. She has lied in the past and present that I abuse her. I do not. Now, she as filed lies on no-contact order 1/30/08 I have moved out for my safty, how do I approach this case?

The best thing you can do is provide evidence to the court that she is bi-polar, which will totally dis-credit her testimony. Also, it's important that you tell the court that you've moved out for your own safety.

You could also file a request for a restraining order against her for your protection.

Because this is not true, you want to make sure the court is aware of her condition and that you're the victim in this - not her. You don't want to have a charge of domestic violence on your record. It causes you alot of trouble with job applications to buying a firearm.

My suggestion is that you hire an attorney to represent you and have him/her issue a subpoena duces tecum (a specific form of a subpoena issued by a court ordering the parties named to appear and produce tangible evidence (documents or otherwise) for use at a hearing or trial - it includes clauses to bring in hand books, papers, etc. for the court) to your girlfriends doctors to gather evidence to prove her condition.

Good luck.

Roger and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you