Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience
9164795

I judgement was file and approved by the courts in a ...

I judgement was file and approved by the courts in a wrongful death suit. There has been no move to try and collect against the person since he was sent to jail. They have not even tried to collect anything thrugh his jobs in prison. Does this mean since the family has not tried to collect on the settlement in the past 17 years that they can still come in and access him when in comes out of pison or do they have a time frame they must move in to get any monies from hm.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 8 years ago.

In Pennsylvania a civil judgment is good for 20 years.

All the best,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mr. Lofton's Post: Then just to make sure I am reading you correctly. The family has 20 years from the date of the court approved suit to move to collect from him and after that he is free and clear. What would happen if he does not return to Pennsylvania ? would this follow him where every he goes if he is released before the 20 years is up.

He has to have some "assets" for them to recover - if they have a "judgment" then they have to get a court order to attach specific assets - it's up to them to track the assets down and attach them - if they can't find him or the assets they aren't going to collect!