J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
6118667

expunging a felony conviction and restoration of gun rights

Customer Question

2nd degree felony assault conviction in king county (seattle) in 1986. served 75 of 90 days. i live in kitsap county, wa. and want to buy a rifle and join a local gun club. how do i clear my record and restore my right to bear arms?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
Here is a summary of the options. Please see: http://rosenlitigation.com/

It has been more than 10 years since the conviction; thus, an expungement is possible with a restoration of firearm rights if the conviction was a class b or c conviction. If the felony assault was a class a conviction, you will not be eligible for expungement.

An internet search for "Washington felony expungement" yields many firms that will accomplish your goals. I have seen prices quoted of $500-750.00 to start the process. Contact a number of these companies or law firms to learn if you can receive an expungement. Negotiate fees before hiring anyone as there are many people who will provide this service. Good luck, and please let me know if you have more questions.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to J D Haas's Post: i was on a 3 day drunk and took acception to having my car towed away. i waved a knife at a tow truck driver in downtown seattle. didn't use it mind you, but i did wave it in his direction and told him to unhook my car. i was too drunk to notice he had a partner right in the cab of the tow truck with a direct cb radio link to the cops. seattle pd showed up instantly and i was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. prosecutors were willing to drop the weapon charge if i pleaded guilty to 2nd degree felony assault. when i asked about 3rd degree felony assault, i was told it was reserved for assaulting a police officer. i received 90 days from a superior court judge there in seattle and served 75 days of it in king county jail. i have since been through alcohol rehab and i have 20 years of sobriety as well as no other legal problems. i haven't a clue whether 2nd degree felony assault is a class a, b, or c felony. all i know is i am a merchant marine officer. every five years i need to renew both my federal merchant mariner's document, as well as my federal merchant marine officer's license. this is done via the coast guard's office of marine inspection and the department of homeland security. they are quite aware of my felony conviction from 1986 and yet have never made an issue of it. i was hoping i could handle this myself via the court clerk here in kitsap county courthouse. yes, or no?
Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
It is possible to handle this yourself. By contacting the sentencing authority: King County, they can tell you whether it was an a, b, or c felony. Or, you could contact one of the law firms that does this expungement work and they could quickly tell you whether it was an a, b, or c charge.

You can do this yourself, but it is somewhat intensive in terms of the paperwork required. A reasonably intelligent person, and you obviously are a person of that quality, can do this by himself. Good luck.

questions.