Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

I am on house arrest for 3 months. iIhave already

Customer Question

I am on house arrest for 3 months. iIhave already served one month of it. I would like to file a motion with the court to suspend it early. I asked the court how to file a motion and they said submit a letter to the judge and pay a fee of $20.00. There is no formal form to fill out. How should I present this letter? What should I say in it? Any idea''s? I''m 46 female with 2 children. This was a petty theft sentence. Please help!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

Here is a letter you can cut and paste into a word document for printing.

Address it to

The Honorable (name of Judge)

Re: Case Number (state case number)

Dear Judge (name)

This is a request for Modification of my Home Detention which you graciously afforded me in lieu of incarceration in the above-referenced matter.

I have served one month and realize how important it is that I follow the laws and rules of society. I am a 46 year old (single???) mother of two children, ages (state). This punishment has had a tremendous impact on my life. (Say something about your children - do they go to school, activities that you are missing, etc?)

Your Honor, I am humbly asking that you consider reducing my home detention from the three months to the current time served so I can be a good an productive citizen.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sign your name and send it via certified mail with a return receipt requested.

Best to you in this matter,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle