ExperiencedParalegal
ExperiencedParalegal, Paralegal
Experience:  MultipleAreasofLaw
9066835

Will expunged files show up on a background check

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ExperiencedParalegal replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Please give me more insight to your case. What state is this in? Are these felony records? Misdemeanor records? Were you a juvenile at the time of the offense? If you were a juvenile were you charged as a juvenile or as an adult.

Also, who is performing a background check on you?

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to ExperiencedParalegal's Post: Hi,
It is in New Jersey, a misdemenor, I was an adult(18) and it is a youth program associated with the national guard doing the check.
DearCustomer

Were you convicted of a misdemeanor charge, or was it amended down to a lower charge?

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to ExperiencedParalegal's Post: It was a misdemenor.

DearCustomer

You are lucky because you actually live in a state that after your case has been expunged, the law makes it untraceable. The New Jersey Criminal Code allows a person who has been arrested or convicted of a crime to make submission for an "Expungement". An Expungement is a legal procedure that "removes" a criminal record from the files and computer systems of the Court, police department and other law enforcement agencies.

When an expungement is approved, law enforcement agencies are required by law to keep that person’s records private. However, the law does allow expunged records to be used later in certain cases. Many people want to go through the expungement process so that they can have clear records when they apply for jobs. However, the law does allow expunged records to be used when a person applies for an occupation with a law enforcement agency. This includes careers with state, county, and local corrections departments, prosecutors, courts, and police. This does not mean that those agencies will never employ people with records, but it does mean that those applying must still reveal the existence of an expunged record on a job application.

The expungement process is available to help people to erase a mistake of their past so that it will not effect their future. The expungement statute within the State of New Jersey allows you to reverse time and expunge that mistake as though it had never occurred.

That being said, if the youth program does perform the background check on you and your misdemeanor has been expunged, your background record should come up clean, since the New Jersey law requires that the crime be erased. However, there is still a chance that if it is the government that does your background check, there is a possibility that they could find it, because they are the government. If it evers comes into questions, Federal Law always mandates over State Law. However, the New Jersey law that is in effect should protect you.

I am giving you a link with answers to multiple questions that you may have also about expungement in New Jersey.
http://www.njexpungements.com/faq.php

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should need anything further.

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CLICK THE ACCEPT BUTTON. The statement above is meant in an effort to help guide you in the right direction. Please remember that the fees paid are for information, not legal advice. If you need legal advice you should seek an attorney in the area of which your legal issue pertains to. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated as are bonuses.

Please be advised that I have recently answered your question. PLEASE REMEMBER TO CLICK ON THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON, if my answer has been helpful to you, so that I may get proper credit for my effort to help you in your case. Thank you!

Do not hesitate to contact me if you should need anything further.

Sincerely,

Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal

ExperiencedParalegal, Paralegal
Experience: MultipleAreasofLaw
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you,
Your answer was helpful.
DearCustomer

It would greatly appreciated if you could leave positive feedback in the feedback section. Do not hesitate to contact me if you should need anything further. Good Luck!!!

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal