rvlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Assistant District Attorney - NYC; Criminal Defense Experience for 30+ years

I received a phone call soliciting my advertising in ...

I received a phone call soliciting my advertising in the RRDonnelly yellow pages. I spoke with the representative, saying I was not interested in taking out an ad. The next thing I knew I was receiving a bill for the cost of the ad, having the ad placed in the phone book and I had never agreed to the purchase. The RR group is now saying that I agreed on tape (which I never did) this has been referred for collection and the bill now exceeds $900. what can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Stand not be intimidated. Tell them not to call you any more. Return the bill with an explanation that you never ordered or authorized the ad. If they sue...which they tell your version to the court. Tell the court that they said they had a tape. I'm sure they won't produce it because you didn't order the ad. USE THEIR FAILURE TO PRODUCE IT AS PART OF YOUR DEFENSE.